I Call Him Evil Louie

There he is, sitting there, looking all smug and satisfied with himself. He knows he got the better of me today, and I swear he's relishing it, all the way down to those springy ears.

Evil Louie is my lens cap from my camera. It's a Lumix GF3 that I got for Christmas from my generous hubby who got it for me when he heard me pining for a camera like a DSLR, but that wouldn't be as big as Mount Everest. It's a fantastic camera... takes great photos in all sorts of light, has lots of features, and makes taking photos fun and simple.

Except, it came with Louie the Lens Cap.

This is the point where most people who use their phones as their cameras get that smug look. They never have to worry about a stupid lens cap, after all...

Anyway, this morning, I woke up wondering where one of my handknitted cowls were (a normal situation for me). I got up, did a workout, took a shower, then took my bowl of cereal and settled down to re-organize a basket that holds some of my finished shawls, scarves and other accessories. I thought I'd snap a picture of it... I was formulating a blogpost in my mind about the basket and its contents...

Then, I got up and took a shot of a project I finished yesterday that was blocking on the dining table, The Textured Shawl Recipe by Orlane, knitted with some Araucania Nature Multi I got on a trip to San Francisco a couple of years ago.

Then, I was about to put my camera away, when I realized I didn't know where Louie the Lens Cap was. Hmm. I looked around the couch where I was sitting when I was re-organizing my basket. I took the seat cushions off and checked down the sides, where most of my knitting items disappear into. Nothing.

I gingerly crawled onto all fours (I was still sore from my workout) and looked under the couch. Nope.

I checked the dining table, where the camera was sitting this morning before I started taking photos. Not there, either.

I finished my cereal, then summoned the hubby to come help me. He took off the rest of the cushions, looked behind the couch, checked the dining table again. He said, "Are you sure you didn't have it anywhere else?"

"No," I whined. "I ALWAYS make sure the lens cap is on when I finish, and I ALWAYS take it off right before I take photos."

"Are you sure?" he said.

"Yes!" I snapped.

We checked all over the living room and in the kitchen, just in case I put it in the fridge or something. I dumped out my newly-organized basket and shook out each and every garment. I even rooted Rascal out of his bed to see if it was under there. Not there.

I sighed and pouted. I hate losing stuff like that, especially when it is from something that is relatively new. Hubby said we could probably get another one no problem, but I was still super annoyed.

We decided it was time to take Rascal out for his morning constitutional and to get a few groceries. I went over to my handbag to get my vitamins out to take before we left... then I paused, looked blankly ahead of me, then started emptying out my bag...

ALWAYS is a dangerous word, in case you didn't already know.

There he was. Louie the Lens Cap was in my handbag. I had taken my camera into work the other day, and Louie must have popped off when I took the camera out of my bag yesterday. Turns out I don't ALWAYS take the cap off right before I take photos after all.

I probably don't ALWAYS do anything.

Luckily, we've been married long enough for the hubby to know that he should never say, "I told you so," but I've also been alive long enough to admit when I've been an idiot. Darn you, Louie.

So, with Louie back in place, we went out and did our errands. Rascal was understandably exhausted after the morning's activities:

Good thing the camera can take these photos in low light without any shake. 

So, Louie and I are kind of having a truce right now. I'm considering drilling a hole through him and stringing some cord onto him to tie to the camera. That would be easier than spending half the morning hunting for him. I swear, though... Louie has a bit of a sinister look to him, like he's plotting his next escape...


You got me this time, Louie. I won't let you get away so easily next time...

Comments